Saturday, June 25, 2011

My thoughts on the Colorado Avalanche Draft and Liles Trade

As the first day of the NHL draft came to an end I wanted to look at the 2nd and 11th picks the Colorado Avalanche had. I had hoped before the draft the Avs would go after a winger and a d-man and they did just that. What more they didn't go after super offensive guys either. Instead we went after a gritty power forward and a defensive minded defensemen. Two traits the Avs really lack in over the last few seasons.

2nd overall Gabriel Landeskog

Power Forward
Left Winger
Height: 6' 0", Weight: 207
Played for the Kitchener Rangers *OHL*
GP: 53
G: 36
A: 30
P: 66
PIM: 61
The NHL analysis label him as a Brenden Morrow type of player.

I've been checking out his highlights on Youtube and not only will he bring grit, a presence in front of the net and a kick butt mentality, but he will also bring a ton of support for Matt Duchene. I really do feel that this pick was made not just as a 2nd best choice, but with Duchene in mind. Whether it be Hejduk or Fleischmann as the other winger, we have a player that will be able to clear room for them and hopefully do the job we hoped Ryan Smyth could have done for us. I hope he can become a player who can make a huge impact like Dustin Byfuglien and I think we'll be seeing him in a Avs jersey at the start of next season.




11th overall Duncan Siemens

Defensive Defensemen
Defense
Height: 6' 2", Weight: 192
Played for the Saskatoon Blades *WHL*
GP: 72
G: 5
A: 38
P: 43
PIM: 121
The NHL analysis label him as a Bryan Allen type of player. Though others say he has traits of Scott Stevens.



This is defiantly the type of player the Avs need. A guy who thinks defense first, loves to hit, can fight, has good speed to chase down forwards and push them to the side... This is a type of player the Avs lack in dearly. I have a feeling we won't really see him at the start of the season, unless we see a injury. I think he needs to bulk up a bit more but I really feel he could be a great reliable d-man for us soon. What I hope he really brings though is a Chris Pronger attitude.

Now as for the trade news on John Michael Liles...

Where a good number of Avs fans are calling The Fan, complaining, crying that a "Star Player" has been traded, I look at this and say why didn't this happen sooner? Granted J.M.L. is a good guy but the only thing that made him a defensemen on this team was the D next to his name on the roster. I really don't think he was committed to the supporting of the goalie and was more focused on getting that next goal. Which I understand the importance of having a good shooter at the blue line, but if you are a d-man your first responsibility is to support your goalie. Every time when the trade rumors started he stepped his game up and tried to play D, but that's the thing he had to be motivated to do it. I just wish we would of done this a few season's earlier, when Ottawa was thinking of trading one of their star players for him. All we got was a 2nd round draft pick for the 2012 draft.

There is more drafting going on today, but now I'm more looking forward to July and free agency. The Avs desperately need to pick up a goalie and I would like to see them pick up a strong, beat the hell out of you, block shots, stay at home d-man. I don't expect a big name or anything, but I'd like to see someone who at least has the passion and the drive to do his #1 job, which is helping our goalie.

No comments:

Post a Comment